- Gun Deaths Up Sharply Among America's Schoolkids March 22, 2019
"It is sobering that in 2017, there were 144 police officers who died in the line of duty and about 1,000 active duty military throughout the world who died, whereas 2,462 school-age children were killed by firearms," the study’s senior author said.
- Three Clues to Raised Risk of Miscarriage March 22, 2019
The study found that after one miscarriage, the risk of another increased by half. After two miscarriages, the risk doubled. After three consecutive miscarriages, the risk quadrupled.
- Another Study Links Pesticide Exposure, Autism March 22, 2019
The study corroborates and builds on previous work, but it also suggests that not all children who are exposed to the same pesticides will go on to develop autism, one expert noted.
- Common Drug Combo Found to Cut Skin Cancer Odds March 22, 2019
A two-ointment combo used to clear crusty skin growths known as actinic keratosis also has been found to greatly reduce the odds for squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs), the second most common form of skin cancer.
- What Besides Opioids Can Help Post-C-Section Pain? March 22, 2019
Pain after a C-section can be controlled effectively with ibuprofen and acetaminophen, researchers said. For those who do need opioids, a lower dose can work.
- Mailed Home Colon Cancer Tests Boost Screening March 22, 2019
Researchers believe that mailing the screening kits directly to patients, which frames participation as the default, reduced steps in the process, and made it easier for patients to get screened and catch colorectal cancer earlier or even potentially prevent it from occurring.
- Recall: Tyson Chicken Strips Might Contain Metal March 22, 2019
This is the second major recall of a Tyson product this year. In January, the company recalled 5-pound plastic packages of chicken nuggets because they might have been contaminated with pieces of rubber.
- Overdose Deaths From Fentanyl Soaring: Report March 22, 2019
In 2011 and 2012, about 1,600 deaths a year were attributed to fentanyl overdose. Then, the toll began to rise, topping out at 18,000 in 2016, according to the report.
- CBD Products Now Sold at CVS Stores in 8 States March 22, 2019
Curaleaf operates more than 40 marijuana dispensaries across 12 states and also offers hemp-derived products including lotions, tinctures, vape pens and patches.
- Doctor Group: Changed Nasal Flu Vaccine OK for Kids March 21, 2019
Changes to the nasal spray appear to have improved its effectiveness, and the American Academy of Pediatrics is now endorsing it as well as flu shots to protect children.